Monday, December 18, 2006

Of fishes and kisses

I haven’t finished with Langkawi yet. I didn’t tell you about Pulau Paya.

So anyway, we excitedly went to Pulau Paya on the 3rd day of our trip, and to be really honest, I was disappointed. I was expecting to have an awesome time frolicking with the fishes and pretending like I actually know how to snorkel (snort), but I was, well, quite disappointed although I DID have fun.

First of all, the snorkeling gear was crap. The first gear I got was filled with brown spots that looked like fungus all over the goggles and mouth pipe thing, whatever it’s called. It was way gross, so clever me asked the person in charge for another kit, saying it was for my friend. And guess what I did with the gross gear? I passed it to Chia Yang saying, “Nah, I helped you to take one” and then bolted as fast as I could. Teeheeheeheehee!! I wonder what he did with it.

The new one I took wasn’t functioning properly. The goggles kind of broke at the side and water could seep in. Plus that pipe thing that you’re supposed to put in your mouth was taking in water, so half the time I was more concerned about keeping water out of my eyes AND breathing in AIR, not saltwater, than actually snorkeling and enjoying the “colourful” marine life. And u have no idea how much my eyes hurt ok. Silly goggles.

I got so fed up I asked Andrew to give me his gear. Andrew can be a real pain sometimes, but during times like these, he is the epitome of a gentleman! His gear was pretty ok, just that water could still seep into my mouth and my eyes too, although not as bad as the previous one. So off I went, “snorkeling”. (Most of the time I just walked in water anyway) But what would you know! The lovely fishes loved me SO much they even gave me lovebites all over my legs. If you’ve never experienced it, let me tell you that it’s pretty fun to be bitten by carnivorous fishes, in fact, SO fun that I even considered getting a bathtub at home filled with all these loony creatures and soaking in it all day long so that the scars on my legs would increase and I would be able to show everyone how much fishes love me. =.=”’ swt.

Oklah, to be fair to the fishes, they probably don’t know they’re biting humans. They probably think they’re eating bread, considering everyone was throwing bread at them like there’s no tomorrow. But their stupidity caused me so much pain and scars. (It’s still there if you wanna see it. Just ask me, haha )

And then there’s the prickly sand part. Heaven knows what kinds of rocks and thorn-like things they have on the seabed. I know lah, when you’re snorkeling you’re supposed to swim and use the flippers and not WALK, but swimming is impossible when you’re having a nose which hurts because you think you’re breathing with your mouth but actually you’re using your nose. So as if the fish bites weren’t enough, the seabed had to buat pasal also. So I used the flippers, but I discovered that I couldn’t walk, and at one point I almost drowned cause I couldn’t turn over with the flippers on after surfacing from the water. Ok, I’m exaggerating. But anyway, the flippers were really troublesome lah, but I can’t blame them, cause they don’t know what they’re doing. Haha. I suppose I need snorkeling lessons?


And then there’s the toilet. I mean, you won’t expect much from Malaysian toilets lah of course, but this was really bad. It stunk like hell and the flush wasn’t working and there was no lock on the door and although I didn’t notice it, one of my friends told me that the water from the pipes wasn’t exactly clean water, it was SALTWATER! Sigh. They’re probably too poor for clean water, so whatever lah. But really, if you want tourists to come visit and have a good impression of Malaysia, the LEAST you could do is jaga your toilets properly lah right. Malaysia Boleh. SO boleh I tell you.

OKOK I’m done griping. It wasn’t THAT bad lah ok, I’m just writing what I went through, but the whole experience was really kind of fun. I mean, I was pretty annoyed with the gear and the crazy fishes and all, but there were times when I managed to get underwater and snorkel for a while (holding my breath of course) and the marine life IS very interesting, trust me. Plus, having your friends there to go through the whole thing with makes it worthwhile. I would love to go back there again someday with the whole gang, but this time I’ll bring my own snorkeling gear and go when my best friend isn’t visiting (You gals know what I mean) ;p

There are a few pictures of the place. It’s beautiful, I’m telling you. Lots of lush green trees around and clear blue waters. Check it out.






And here's me looking cool and composed. =)


Okay, I'm done with this post. Siyan's dying for me to blog about our trip right? ;p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home