Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The other day I read this heart-rending story about how this couple in China saves unwanted baby girls from death by adopting them and bringing them up as their own children. This couple can barely make ends meet for themselves-the husband earns RM400 a month collecting scrap metal, they're already old and live in a dilapidated shack. Yet they're still bringing in little girls to live with them. To date they've adopted and brought up 14 girls if I'm not mistaken. The girls get rice and cooked dishes 3 times a day, while this couple survives on bread and plain noodles. They refuse any money from some of the older girls who have already started working because they want the girls to have a better life. Once, one of the babies fell sick and the couple found themselves in debt trying to settle the medical bills. Over the years the couple have borrowed RM10000 or so to bring up the kids.

This is one of the most heart wrenching stories I've read in a long time. We are just so so blessed in this part of the world and many times we take it for granted. We complain about anything and everything under the sun worth opening the mouth for. And the worst thing is, we don't ever go out of the way to help needy people. At least I don't lah. I've always heard people telling me not to give alms to the beggars on the streets because they don't deserve it, cos they have two arms and two feet and they can work and earn their own money and all that. And then there are people who tell me not to trust people who come to coffee shops claiming to be from certain charity organisations because a lot of it is bullshit. Over the years, I've learnt to reject giving simply because of all this negative talk. I could have made a choice to disregard these negative comments I picked up along the way and still give anyway, I mean it's not like I'm so poor right. I could definitely afford like say, RM5 to buy a pen to support an organisation. Come to think of it, this small amount could change someone else's life. Well yeah, they COULD be ripping me off or lying to me, and YES, I KNOW they definitely gain some sort of commission from the sale of the super expensive pen which most of the time doesn't work anyway, but at the end of the day, I still am helping someone who really needs my help. But NO. I chose to be kiamsiap and disregard these people seeking help. I give towards missions in church, but when it comes to coffee shops and beggars, I honestly can't remember the last time I gave or bought something. I mean, whenever they come to me I truly feel sorry for them and I smile and say sorry I can't help you, but what is the point right onot. If you don't give it's not going to make any difference being sorry and compassionate in your heart. Passion without action=pointless. So teruk right.

And then here you read of people who can barely lead comfortable lives themselves, and yet they go out of their way, sacrifice their money and time and energy and everything else to save young girls. Just makes you stop and think of how much love we could afford to give and yet we don't bother, doesnt it? My new resolution is to give and not ignore the people seeking for help in walkways and coffee shops. Doesn't matter if it's just RM1 or a few loose change, I just wanna give. And I urge you to do the same. Don't listen to your teachers who tell you not to give to beggars. Sheesh, what do they teach kids in school man!! I learnt this new idiom in writing and referencing class: AS COLD AS CHARITY. I was wondering how charity could possibly be cold, but now I understand. If you're not like me and you actually give, most of the time it's because we feel we have to, or we'd feel guilty if we don't. We never truly give because we really care for someone or want to change that person's life right? How many of us know the names of the beggars who come to us, or say hi how do you do, or smile when we give to these people? As cold as charity. Sigh. Damn frustrating to know I'm really such a teruk person. I must change.

On another note, Lincoln Burrows is so amazing. He borrowed 90000 bucks to put his bro through college, went through all that crap, put up with all that dissing from his bro, and never once complained or blamed Michael for whatever happened. Heck, he didn't even tell Michael he was in jail because of him! Why are these people so amazing wan!! I know lah it's a tv show and all, but I'm sure stuff like that happens in real life oso. Angels man i tell you, pure angels.

But of course, the Chinese couple and Lincoln Burrows cannot even come close to comparing with the love of Jesus Christ. We don't really stop to think of God's love a lot do we? And when i actually stop to think of it, I'm just overwhelmed by His wonderful grace and mercy. He died on the cross for my sins. Because of Him, I'm saved. I'm free. I have eternal life. No matter how many times I screw up and break His heart, He forgives. I could be as cold as charity, yet He still loves me. I could be the exact opposite of Lincoln Burrows and be mean to my sister, yet He still loves me. I am SO SO SO glad I have Jesus in my life. I love you Jesus!! You rock my world!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home